At the Keeneland, Fasig-Tipton, OBS and Barretts sales exogenous anabolic steroids are not to be given to a weanling or yearling within 45 days of the date of sale.
At the purchaser's request, drug testing will be performed immediately after the horse is sold and any presence of these anabolic steroids in the sale horse may result in the return of the horse.
Process for Drug Testing:
- Indicate request for drug test on the Acknowledgment of Purchase slip.
- Pay $500 to sales company to take and test the blood sample.
- Purchaser must care for the horse during the testing period.
- If the test returns as positive the purchaser has the right to rescind the sale.
- Purchaser must give sales company notice of his election to rescind the sale within 24 hours of receiving the positive test result.
- Consignor must refund any sales proceeds and pay all expenses and legal fees.
- Expenses include boarding, vanning, insurance, drug testing fee and veterinary charges.
Ensure your sales company includes this prohibition as a condition of sale.